This is a wonderful way to use the leftover konbu from making dashi. I prefer a half and half ratio between the konbu and vegetables, but feel free to play around. Between the 3 types of konbu (Rausu, Rishiri & Ma konbu) I have found my affinity leans towards the Rishiri because of its viscous texture (hence I love okra), although all work great. Please keep in mind, this recipe does not produce a large amount because this is meant to be a small course or a side dish to a meal.
- 2 ounces rehydrated konbu, sliced super thin
- 1 ½ ounces cucumber, Japanese or Persian, sliced super thin
- 1 ounce carrot, peeled and sliced super thin
- 1 ounce daikon, peeled and sliced super thin
- ¾ ounce okra, sliced super thin (optional)
- 1 scallion (white & green parts), sliced super thin
- 4 teaspoons Iio Jozo Sushi Vinegar
½ tablespoon Suehiro Usukuchi Soy Sauce with Koji
1 Yamatsu Tsujita Takanotsume Whole Dried Chili Pepper, seeds removed & sliced in thin rings (optional)
Mix all ingredients together well and let sit for one hour. Taste to see if you need to adjust the seasoning since the vinegar and soy sauce will soak in.