Miso Soup with Kabocha Pumpkin, Onion & Sansho
Aka (red) miso is a strong-flavored miso, which is perfect for highlighting the kabocha pumpkin. Add some onion to give it a more savory flavor.
- 1 cup Kabocha pumpkin, peeled, halved and seeded
- 18 ounces dashi or quick dashi
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup thinly sliced yellow onion
¼ cup Horikawaya Nomura Aka (red) Miso
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
Pinch of Yamatsu Tsujita Sansho
- Cut the pumpkin into 1-inch cubes. Combine the dashi with the pumpkin, salt and onion in a small saucepan. Bring to a slow simmer over medium heat and cook about 5-8 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft.
- Add the miso to the basket of a miso soup strainer (or other fine-meshed strainer), then lower it into the pan. Stir the miso in the submerged strainer until it dissolves into the soup. Turn off the heat immediately, add the green onions, then divide evenly into 4 bowls.
- Top with a pinch of sansho for each bowl. Enjoy.